Fitness is something that is nearly top-of-mind for each and every one of us. While having a gym membership with full amenities makes life easier, this isn’t a reality for many of us. In fact, many of us are having to resort to building a simple home gym. When it comes to building a home gym, investing in dumbbells and resistance bands is a given due to their versatility. While it’s important to build muscle, you can’t forget about your flexibility. Therefore, investing in a yoga mat and a yoga block for those who aren’t as limber is essential.
Lastly, for the icing on the cake, the next essential item is an ab roller. Whether you’re looking to sculpt and define your abdominal muscles or simply strengthen your core, this compact and simple tool will help with those goals. We reviewed dozens of ab rollers s to identify the best of the best. We examined a range of factors, including materials, grip, versatility, cost, average customer reviews, and much more. We then narrowed down our search to 5 of the top-performing ab rollers available.
The Perfect Fitness Ab Carver Pro was our best ab roller overall due to its high-quality materials backed by an efficient price. This ab roller is perfectly suited for both the hardcore fitness user and the average fitness user.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Ab Rollers
|Best Ab Roller Overall||Perfect Fitness Ab Carver Pro Roller||4.6|
|Best Ab Roller Kit||Odoland 4-in-1 AB Wheel Roller Kit||4.3|
|Best Budget Ab Roller||Aduro Sport Ab Workout Roller Wheel||4.2|
|Best Versatile Ab Roller||Lifeline Power Wheel||4.4|
|Best Wide Ab Roller||LAFENI Wide Ab Roller||4.4|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Ab Roller Overall: Perfect Fitness Ab Carver Pro Roller for Core Workouts
Possessing an ultra-wide wheel along with ergonomic handles, The Perfect Fitness Ab Carver Pro Roller was our top pick due to it offering the most quality at a reasonable price. It also comes with a durable, high-density foam knee pad that is an added bonus along with a free 21-day downloadable program to get started with the ab roller. The ultra-wide wheels provide stability when carving left, right, or center for targeted work on your obliques.
The Perfect Fitness Ab Carver Pro Roller Key Features:
- Patented carbon steel spring mechanism
- Ultra-wide wheel
- Unique ergonomic padded handles
Best Ab Roller Kit: Odoland 4-in-1 AB Wheel Roller Kit
When you’re looking to not only challenge your core but to also get in a total body workout— the Odoland 4-in-1 AB Wheel Roller Kit is an excellent option. Most ab rollers on the market usually have one or two wheels. But, this particular kit has been upgraded with a longer handle pipe that can support up to 800lbs.
Besides a knee pad and the ab roller, the other two items included are a push-up bar and jump rope so you can also effectively train your cardiovascular system. Many reviewers rave about the value delivered for the price.
Odoland 4-in-1 AB Wheel Roller Kit Key Features:
- Upgraded ab roller for greater stability
- Anti-slip lines and protective rubbers to deliver a better user experience
- Greater durability and easy assemble
Best Budget Ab Roller: Aduro Sport Ab Workout Roller Wheel
If you’re looking to challenge your core without emptying your wallet, then the Aduro Sport Ab Workout Roller Wheel is an excellent option. This budget-friendly ab wheel possesses extra resistant handles along with being easy to assemble—which is a sigh of relief to beginners.
Due to the makeup of this ab wheel, it’s more than capable of being outside the home as well.
Aduro Sport Ab Workout Roller Wheel Key Features:
- Easy to assemble and lightweight
- Non-slip strip wheel
- Extra resistant handles
Best Versatile Ab Roller: Lifeline Power Wheel
The Lifeline Power Wheel is an excellent option for those who are looking to simultaneously work multiple aspects of their body in one session. With this power wheel, due to a patented design, your hands are strategically placed at the ideal lengths apart for an optimal training session.
Whether using the soft form grips or the adjustable foot stirrups, you’ll be able to experience greater workout versatility along with greater ranges of body motion.
Lifeline Power Wheel Key Features:
- Increase balance, coordination, and stamina while strengthening core, upper and lower body
- Train up to 20 muscles simultaneously in your body
- Comfortable, soft foam grip limits hand fatigue
Best Wide Ab Roller: Lafeni Wide Ab Roller
For those needing more of a wider handle and superior grip, the Lafeni Wide Ab Roller provides an excellent alternative to the standard ab wheels in the marketplace. Consisting of strong stainless steel, non-slip TPR, durable PVC, and a knee pad—this ab roller provides a great user experience without damaging your carpets and floors.
This device happens to also be portable and easy to assembly and disassemble.
Lafeni Wide Ab Roller Key Features:
- High-quality thick steel pipe for enhanced safety and stability
- Comes with two resistance ropes and a knee pad
- Lightweight Portable
Who Should Buy An Ab Roller
Much like dumbbells, the great thing about ab rollers is that anyone can benefit from purchasing one. Not only due to the learning curve being minimum but also because there are so many different types of ab rollers to suit a multitude of preferences and budgets. An obvious ideal customer is someone who works long hours and isn’t able to consistently attend the gym or they aren’t comfortable in a gym setting. This ab roller alleviates those fears and inconveniences.
Another reason for buying an ab roller is due to strengthening your core. This is more than just obtaining a six-pack, it’s about strengthening an area so your quality in everyday life can improve. While there are different ranges of motion that can be executed with the ab rollers, no matter your level, you’ll be able to utilize the roller from day one.
Important Features to Consider
The ab machines and its variety of devices are some of the most popular tools in the gym. With that said, many gyms possess ab rollers and there are some important features to consider. Here are a few features to consider when selecting an ab roller:
- Tread. One of the first things to consider is the overall structure of the ab wheel itself. Ideally, you’ll want a steel core that’s covered by the wheel. This wheel should have a tread on it, which will provide you with some stability while also preventing you from skidding all over the floor in the middle of your workout. Without any sufficient tread, it’s a higher probability of injuring yourself.
- Handles. By the nature of the exercise and device, your hands will also be heavily involved. Ideally, you want your handles to be ergonomic and padded. This will lessen the chances of your palms aching after each workout along with providing more comfort.
- Accessories and extras. When purchasing an ab roller, there’s the obvious wheel itself you’re purchasing. However, other variables to consider are tools such as a knee pad or even whether you want a total body kit that includes jump ropes and other tools to assist your fitness. Other conveniences include an accompanying exercise guide.
- Your weight. It’s a subtle factor but can make a difference depending on your frame and current weight. Before purchasing, review to see if your weight is appropriate for usage. This will save not only your back but also your wallet.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an ab roller and how does it work?
Ab rollers are simplistic in appearance, but provide ample benefits when used correctly. At any commercial gym, you’re most likely to see someone using one of the devices. The ab roller is constructed by two handles connecting a wheel. The ab roller can be difficult for those not as well-versed with exercising. Therefore, most people need to start with a modified version known as the stability ball rollout. A full version of the ab roller consists of being in a full push-up position on your toes with the ab wheel held underneath your shoulders. Next, you’ll roll the wheel in front of your body slowly before bringing your hands back underneath your chest.
What muscles does an ab roller work?
To the surprise of many people, the ab roller works much more than just the core muscles. To get the obvious ones out of the way, the ab rollout targets your core muscles, which include the rectus abdominis, the obliques, and the erector spinae muscles (aka your lower back). And the surprising muscles consist of your latissimus dorsi (upper back) and shoulder muscles being targeted.
Does an ab roller reduce belly fat?
Unfortunately, the ab roller isn’t directly responsible for reducing belly fat. When it comes to reducing belly fat, your nutrition plays a starring role. However, an ab roller can be beneficial in not only strengthening your core but also sculpting the abdominal area.
Are ab rollers bad for your back?
As with any type of exercise equipment, improper form and usage can result in a potential injury. The ab roller isn’t inherently bad for you your back. It only becomes a potential issue for your back once you start exercising with improper form. If you keep your core engaged, you’ll prevent your lower back from taking over; thus keeping this exercise safe and effective.
Other Ab Rollers We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other ab rollers. Even though they didn’t make our top 5 best ab rollers, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for you and your fitness goals. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Ab Roller Kits
Besides getting a quality ab wheel, this kit includes a jump and knee mat. Besides those accessories, this kit includes longer handles for a comfortable grip along with stable and strong stainless steel pipes. This unique design kit is easy to use and is appropriate for all fitness levels.
- High-density knee pad and jump rope
- Durable non-slip rubber wheel
- Unique design and quality handles
Besides an ab wheel, this kit includes an adjustable jump rope, a hand gripper, a push-up bar, and a knee pad. This easy-to-use and assemble kit is appropriate for all levels of fitness experience.
- 5 pieces of exercise equipment
- Wheels feature non-slip rubber to grip any floor surface
- Longer handle pipe to make a more stable ab wheel
Besides an ab wheel, this kit includes a knee pad, two pushup bars, a jump rope (and even a replacement rope). Each handle is 5.2 inches and ergonomic, which leads to much better user experience.
- Made of strong stainless steel and non-slip to protect your floors
- Ergonomic and durable handles that support up to 330 pounds
- Complete home gym set
This ab wheel is more stable due to possessing four wheels. Besides that, this kit includes push-up bars, a jump rope, a resistance band, a handgrip, a core slider, and a knee pad. This kit is also easy to assemble and is appropriate for all fitness levels.
- Highly portable
- Anti-slip handles on each item
- Total home gym setup
This heavy-duty ab wheel is not only stable but also comes with an accompanying workout ebook to help steer you in the right direction. Besides an extra thick foam kneepad, premium resistance bands are included as well to add variety and challenge to your workout sessions.
- Accompanying workout ebook
- Comfortable ergonomic foot stirrups
- Soft Eva foam handles on the wheel
This kit includes six items and is both suitable for both men and women. With an ultra-wide ab wheel, you’ll be provided with great stability leading to more fluid movements.
- Made of stainless steel
- Free bonus gifts and multi-directional ab core workout
- Easy to carry
This kit four items in total and can handle up to 800 pounds. Due to an anti-slip resistant foam, this handle will allow for more stability and ease as you workout. These items are also highly portable which offers up massive convenience to those who travel a lot for work.
- Upgraded 3 wheel design
- Premium quality for the price
- Removable handles and wheels for portable convenience
Budget Ab Roller Kits
For beginners who are looking to just get started with exercising without draining the wallet, this ab roller will more than suffice. Besides possessing a strong wheel, there is a strong bearing capacity.
- Soft cotton handles for better sweat absorption
- Extremely portable
- Comes with a knee mat
With nearly 3,000 reviews, this ab wheel provides ample bang-for-your-buck in terms of getting started with using an ab wheel. Besides acquiring a study wheel, you also get an ergonomically designed knee mat.
- 3 bonus gifts
- Non-slip rubber wheel
- Quality hand grips
With two wheels, this ab roller will provide twice the stability for your workouts. This wheel also includes non-slip performance grip handles.
- 2 wheel settings for more exercises
- Rubber treads for better traction
- High-performance grips
If you’re someone who doesn’t need all the extras and just wants a simple ab wheel—then this particular model is perfect for you. To help ensure stability and durability, this ab roller is designed and manufactured with a metal axle.
- Anti-slip sweat-resistant thick grips
- Double wheel designed for increased stability
- Designed for beginners
With a sleek design plus a knee mat, this ab roller provides excellent value while being light on your wallet. Possessing stainless steel shafts, this ab roller will allow a maximum of 440 pounds.
- 8cm ultra-wide ab roller
- Soft wheel surface
- 2 wheels for greater stability
This basic ab roller has no extras with it; this makes it an ideal option for beginners. This bang-for-your-buck ab roller wheel’s rubberized surface will help prevent damage to your floor.
- Single wide wheel with non-slip rubber traction
- Rubberized wheel surface
- Easy-to-assemble and portable
Luxury Ab Rollers
This state of the art ab roller leverages technology through displaying a smart screen that includes various real-time workout data. This ab wheel also features a wide, curved wheel that helps you engage every single ab muscle.
- Patent spring steel sheet with rail
- Automatic rebound system that provides helpful resistance as you workout
- Ergonomic and soft handles
This state of the art and unique ab roller is new and hasn’t garnered ample amounts of attention yet. Made of environmentally safe materials, this ab wheel leverages technology to provide a full-body experience.
- Great for beginners and sports enthusiast
- Easy to assemble and disassemble
- Lightweight and travel friendly
Ab Rollers With Knee Pads
Possessing a unique and ultra-wide carver wheel, you’ll be supported with enhanced balance and stability as you exercise. This ab roller has an anti-slip layer, reinforcing layer, shock-absorbing layer, and sound-absorbing layer.
- Ultra-wide ab wheel
- High-density foam knee pad
- Stainless steel
This beautifully designed ab roller strong consists of stainless steel, non-slip TPR, and a durable PVC. Besides being used in a wide assortment of applications, this ab roller is 5.5-inches in width, which is quite the wide handle.
- Silent steel spring
- Non-slip handle
- Supreme stability
This ab roller consists of an ultra-wide wheel, which will lead to much greater stability as you’re exercising. This ab roller also comes with reinforced support and a free bonus gift, which is a thick knee pad.
- Easy-grip handle
- Ultra-wide tri-wheel
- Non-slip knee pad
This ab roller has two wheels, which will prevent wobbly rollouts and many other inconveniences. This ab roller also comes with a workout mat. While priced competitively, there isn’t a quality drop-off here.
- Two wheels for greater stability
- Ab roller is made of high-density rubber material
- Can support up to 800 lbs
This basic and efficient ab roller provides maximum stability due to including two wheels. It’s easy to assemble and made of superior quality including durable PVC and EVA foam padding.
- Small, portable, and lightweight
- High quality and comfortable hand grips
- Non-slip rubber wheel design