If you’re suffering from a leg or foot injury, using crutches to get around can range from difficult or downright impossible. If you’re tired of using crutches or unable to do so, you don’t have to give up your mobility completely. A knee scooter gives you the ability to get around easily and safely. A knee scooter, also known a knee walker, looks like a regular scooter but features an elevated knee rest where you place your injured leg. You use your on-injured leg to propel yourself forward. A knee scooter works for a variety of foot, ankle and leg injuries, but you have to select the right scooter for your specific needs.
We looked at dozens of knee scooters and walkers in order to find the best, highest-quality knee scooters at any budget, based on factors such as quality of materials, durability, Amazon ratings, and other considerations. We narrowed our search down to five of the top-rated knee scooters and walkers that are on the market today.
We’ve identified the KneeRover Economy Knee Scooter Steerable Knee Walker as the best knee scooter overall. While it’s more expensive than some of our knee scooter picks, it features four 7.5-inch rubber wheels and dual rear on-wheel brakes. These features, coupled with the fact that it’s steerable and foldable, make it an excellent choice for smart buyers.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Knee Scooters and Walkers
|Best Knee Scooter Overall||KneeRover Economy Knee Scooter Steerable Knee Walker||4.5|
|Best Steerable Knee Walker||ELENKER Steerable Knee Walker Deluxe Medical Scooter||4.5|
|Best Budget Knee Scooter||ELENKER Economy Knee Walker Steerable Medical Scooter ||4.5|
|Best All Terrain Knee Scooter||All Terrain KneeRover Steerable Knee Scooter Knee Walker Heavy Duty||4.4|
|Best Foldable Knee Scooter||NEW KneeRover GO Knee Walker||4.5|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Knee Scooter Overall: KneeRover Economy Knee Scooter Steerable Knee Walker
If you’re looking for a knee scooter that checks all the boxes, look no further than the KneeRover Economy Knee Scooter Steerable Knee Walker. It’s delivers a great value for the price, offering a wide variety of features for less than most of our other options. Four 7.5-inch rubber wheels help you get around safely and easily virtually any surface, while providing stability and control. Dual locking handbrakes and dual rear on-wheel brakes allow you to stop on a dime. It also is easily steerable with the handlebars so you can get around to where you need to go easily. The padded knee platform is comfortable and ergonomically designed for your knee.
The scooter also features a quick-release folding mechanism that makes transport and storage a breeze. Both the handlebars and padded knee platform are adjustable so you can achieve the perfect fit. It’s also lightweight, clocking in at only 21 pounds, making for easy transport. It offers a 300 pound weight capacity and is recommended for heights between 4′ 6″ and 6′ 6″, making it perfect for both children, teens, and adults.
Reviewers love how easily it is to get around with this knee scooter. It’s lightweight and easily turns so they can go exactly where they want to go. They report that the wheels are large and durable enough to traverse thick carpets and even grass. They also report that the knee padding is comfortable to use, even when travelling long distances. They also like the scooter is durable and well made. Lastly, they like the value for the price of this scooter and feel that it’s a much better option than crutches or renting a scooter from a home health supply company.
KneeRover Economy Knee Scooter Steerable Knee Walker Key Features:
- Easily steerable
- Four 7.5-inch rubber wheels provide stability
- Dual locking handbrakes and dual rear on-wheel brakes
- Padded knee platform for extra comfort
- Quick-release folding mechanism to make for easy transport and storage
- Adjustable handlebars and padded knee platform
- 300 pound weight capacity
- Recommended for heights between 4′ 6″ and 6′ 6″
Best Steerable Knee Walker: ELENKER Steerable Knee Walker Deluxe
The ELENKER Steerable Knee Walker Deluxe features four 8-inch wheels for stability and control. The handlebars include easy-to-operate brakes that help you safely slow down or stop. It also has an easy-to-use lock to keep the scooter in place — just push down brakes to lock. This scooter also features a memory foam knee pad that evenly distributes pressure for long-lasting comfort. It’s also easily foldable for easy transport or storage. This scooter is intended for individuals up to 300 pounds and the knee pad and handlebars are adjustable so you can always find the perfect fit.
Reviewers love how easily the scooter rolls indoors on tile and wood floors and even outside on pavement. They report that the seat and handlebars are easily adjustable so they could find the most comfortable configuration for them. They also appreciate the addition of the basket on the front to fill with drinks and snacks while they’re on the go. Lastly, reviewers report that the wider wheel base in the front provides extra stability and safety.
ELENKER Steerable Knee Walker Deluxe Key Features:
- Four 8-inch wheels for stability and control
- Easy-to-operate brakes to help you safely slow down or stop
- Easy-to-use lock to keep scooter in place
- Memory foam knee pad for increased comfort
- Intended for up to 300 pounds
Best Budget Knee Scooter: ELENKER Economy Knee Walker
At just $99.99, the ELENKER Economy Knee Walker is the best knee scooter for buyers who don’t want to sacrifice quality for price. It features ergonomic handgrips that make it simple to control. The handles include a brake to help safely slow down or stop. It also includes an easy-to-use lock that keeps the scooter in place. This scooter features a memory foam knee pad that helps evenly distribute pressure for comfortable use. It’s also easily adjustable to fit the perfect height. It also folds quickly and easily. Just open the steering lock, and fold down the knee walker for easy transport and storage.
Reviewers love the quality of the product for the price. At less than $100, it’s one of the cheapest knee scooters on our list, but it’s also one of the highest rated. Reviewers report that it’s well-made and durable. They also report that it’s easy to assemble. Reviewers also appreciate that it’s easy to use and operate. They can turn tight turns in their homes without worrying about the scooter tipping or sliding.
ELENKER Economy Knee Walker Key Features:
- Ergonomic handgrips for increased control
- Handbrake helps you safely slow down or stop
- Easy-to-use lock keeps the scooter in place
- Knee pad memory foam that helps evenly distribute pressure
- Easily adjustable
- Folds quickly and easily
- 300-pound weight capacity
Best All-Terrain Knee Scooter: All Terrain KneeRover Steerable Knee Scooter
If you’re looking for an all-terrain knee scooter, turn to the All Terrain KneeRover Steerable Knee Scooter. It features 12-inch all terrain air-filled tires that help you safely navigate grass, gravel, sand, dirt, and so much more. It’s the perfect choice for people who don’t want to be held back from any outdoor adventure. It features advanced tie-rod steering mechanism that allow for easy steering, even across rough terrain. The adjustable locking hand brake allows you to stop on a dime and the simple push button activates the parking brake. This scooter features a rugged dual bar frame with a 350 lb weight capacity. It folds easily for transport and storage and features a removable front axle for even more compact storage. Lastly, it’s contoured cushioned knee pad features height adjustments for a wide range of users.
Reviewers loves how easily this scooter works on hard surfaces, grass, and even dirt trails. They also like how easily it folds to fit in the trunk of their car. Reviewers report that this scooter is built for stability and control. They like that this model has automotive type steering as opposed to swing axle like other scooters, allowing for easier steering even on rough surfaces.
All Terrain KneeRover Steerable Knee Scooter Key Features:
- 12-inch all terrain air-filled tires allow you to use the scooter on virtually any surface
- Advanced tie-rod steering mechanism that allow for easy steering
- Adjustable locking hand brake allows you to stop easily
- Rugged dual bar frame with a 350 lb weight capacity
- Folds easily for transport and storage
- Adjustable for a wide range of users
Best Foldable Knee Scooter: NEW KneeRover GO Knee Walker
If you’re looking for a foldable knee scooter, NEW KneeRover GO Knee Walker is your best bet. It’s designed to be ultra compact and portable for anyone who’s on the go. It folds in seconds due to the quick release folding mechanisms located on the steering column and center frame. The front axle can also be rotated 90 degrees to make it even more compact. It also only weighs 20 pounds, making it easy to lift and carry with you. It features an adjustable locking hand brake that allow you to stop immediately when needed. Four 7.5-inch provide stability and control. The scooter features a 300-pound weight capacity.
Reviewers love how compact the scooter folds up. They also like how it’s lightweight so they can easily place it in their trunk when on the go. They also like that it’s small, so they can fit through tight spaces, but it’s also extremely stable. They also report that it has a good turning radius, allowing them to make sharp turns while on the go.
NEW KneeRover GO Knee Walker Key Features:
- Ultra compact and portable
- Quick release folding mechanisms located on the steering column and center frame
- Folds in seconds
- Weighs just 20 pounds
- Adjustable locking hand brake
- Four 7.5-inch provide stability and control
- 300-pound weight capacity
Who Should Buy a Knee Scooter or Walker
Knee scooters are extremely useful for anyone suffering from a foot or leg injury. They’re a great choice for those recovering from an ankle or foot surgery, an ankle injury, such as a sprain, strain, or fracture, a foot injury, such as plantar fasciitis, stress fracture, or heel spur, torn Achilles tendon, or an amputation to a leg or foot. They’re also intended for us if you have a permanently disabled leg, foot, or ankle or if you difficulty walking due to foot or ankle pain.
Crutches can be difficult, if not downright impossible, to operate. They require a lot of strength and balance to operate. Plus, they are awkward and hard to take with you. Knee scooters provide easy maneuverability that doesn’t require strength or balance to operate. They’re also easy to transport as most feature easy-to-operate folding mechanisms so you can take them mostly anywhere with you. They also give you the option of being hands free while walking.
If you want to ease the pain of an injury, then you may want to check out The Best Heating Pads.
Important Features to Consider
A knee scooter or walkers should provide stability, support, and easy maneuverability. Here’s what to consider when selecting a knee scooter or walker:
- All-terrain or regular wheels. Most knee scooters have small, thin wheels made of PVC, plastic, or rubber. They work well using indoors or on level, paced surfaces. However, they can tip over on rugged terrain or craved sidewalks. These scooters are less expensive, but they give you less of a range of use. All-terrain scooters have large, wide wheels that are filled with air, like bicycle tires. These wheels provide traction so that you can easily handle grass, gravel, sand, and so much more. The drawbacks of all-terrain scooters are that they are more expensive and they don’t fold up quite as compact as regular scooters.
- Steerable v. non-steerable. Steerable knee scooters allow you to turn the scooter using the handlebars. Being able to steer the scooter allows you to easily maneuver wherever you want to go. You can also make sharp turns you wouldn’t otherwise be able to make. However, a steerable knee scooter isn’t as stable as non-steerable scooters and can turn without you intending them to. A non-steerable knee scooter requires you to lift the front portion of the scooter and turn it in the direction you want to go in. This makes it hard to make sharp turns and get around tight spaces. However, it’s more stable and will stay going straight without the possibility of turning to the side
- Braking system. A knee scooter should have a braking system to help you slow down and stop when you’re going to fast. Most scooters feature a handlebar brake that activates a brake on the back wheel. Some scooters feature a brake on just one wheel, while some feature a dual braking system for both wheels. A parking brake keeps the scooter stable whenever you want to keep it stable, such as when you’re getting on and off the device or want to stand still.
- Adjustability. Most scooters feature adjustable knee rest and handlebars so you can raise or lower them based on what feels most comfortable for you. It’s important that at least one of these components is adjustable so you can obtain the perfect fit. If you don’t, you could risk re-inuring your leg or cause injury to your good leg by putting too much pressure on it.
- Weight and height recommendations. Another important feature to pay attention to is the weight limit and height recommendations for users. Most scooters have a maximum weight of between 250 and 300 pounds. The height limits vary, as some models are intended for both adults and children, while some are designed for taller adults. In either case, make sure to check the height and weight recommendations before making your purchase.
- Foldability and portability. To make it easier to transport and store your scooter, choose a model that allows you to fold the scooter up to a compact size. This allows you to put the scooter in your trunk and take it with you on the go and also put in a closet when space is an issue.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a knee scooter and how does it work?
Knee scooters provide an innovative alternative to crutches, canes, and regular walkers. They’re intended for a variety of foot, ankle, and leg injuries, as well as below-the-knee amputees. To use a knee scooter, lock the handlebars and place your injured leg on the center of the seat cushion. Your other leg should be straight on the floor. Unlock the handlebars and use this leg to propel yourself forward. Hold on to the handlebars and use them to steer the scooter where you want to go. When you want to stop, apply pressure onto the ground with your good leg and use it to stop yourself while pressing the handlebar brakes at the same time to stop the wheels from turning.
What is a knee walker and how does it work?
Knee walkers are the same as knee scooters. The terms are used interchangeably. In fact, knee scooters can be used instead of walkers to increase mobility, so that’s why they’re sometimes referred to as knee walkers.
Are knee scooters better than crutches?
If an injury or surgery has caused you to be off your foot, knee scooters provide an easy way to get around. Using crutches requires a lot of strength and some people just can’t operate them. Additionally, they are difficult to transport around with you and do not offer the option of keeping you hands-free while walking. Scooters allow you to easily maneuver around without much strength and they give you the ability to use your hands. Many models also include a basket for storage so you can bring your essential items along with you.
Can you sit on a knee scooter?
To use a typical knee scooter, the leg that has the injury should be resting on the knee pad, while your other leg should be straight on the floor. It isn’t intended for you to sit on it. However, there are a few options on the market that provide you the ability to sit on the scooter to operate. These models will have a bicycle-type seat pad and an elevated leg rest where you can place your afflicted leg. These models will clearly specify that they’re meant for sitting.
Other Knee Scooters and Knee Walkers We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other knee scooters. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best knee scooters, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your home. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Steerable Knee Walkers
Featuring eight-inch wheels, this scooter is ideal for indoor and outdoor use. It can be steered for easy maneuverability while its durable steel frame provides durability.
- Comes with a removable front basket
- Deluxe braking system allows you to stop easily and safely
- 350-pound weight limit
With excellent stability and control when maneuvering, this knee scooter allows you to get around easily and pain free. It features an easy-to-operate brake on the handlebars and rear drum brake for whenever you need to stop while on the go.
- Four 7.5-inch rubber wheels
- 3.5-inch thick contoured knee platform
- Folds for easy transport and storage
Featuring handlebars with a quick release folding mechanism, this knee walker is designed with easy transport and storage in mind. It features four 8-inch wheels that provide stability and control.
- 12-month warranty
- Steerable handlebars
- Dual locking handbrakes and dual on-wheel brakes
Featuring 8-inch PVC wheels, this scooter allows for easy steering on concrete, tile, carpet, and so much more. It also allows you to adjust the handlebars and knee pad so you can fit it perfectly.
- Supports up to 300 pounds
- Dual rear brake system
- Detachable cloth basket attaches to the front of the scooter
Bigger wheels measuring 8 inches made of PVC give this scooter ease of maneuverability. It features steerable handlebars with a hand brake that activates dual rear on-wheel brakes so you can stop on a dime.
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Convenient detachable basket for carrying your belongings
- Supports up to 300 pounds
Four 8-inch polyurethane wheels provide stability, while dual rear brakes give security with this knee scooter. It’s fully steerable and is designed for both indoor and outdoor use.
- A storage bag easily attaches to the scooter to carry all of your essentials
- Ergonomic foam knee cushion is contoured for optimal comfort
- Includes a lifetime guarantee
Featuring an easy-to-use folding mechanism, this steerable knee walker folds in seconds to a compact size so you can easily transport and store it. It features a nine-grade adjustable handlebar and a five-grade adjustable knee platform, so you can adjust it to fit your needs comfortably.
- 8-inch shock-absorbing wheels
- Can hold up to 300 pounds
- Comes in blue, red, and black
This scooter is steerable and maneuverable even it tight spaces. It features large 8-inch wheels and a thick, padded knee platform that make it easy to use both indoors and out.
- Adjustable hand brake
- Easy folding mechanism allows for easy transport and storage
- Limited lifetime warranty
All-Terrain Knee Scooter
Ideal for traversing over grass, gravel, or dirt, this scooter comes with four large 12-inch all-terrain pneumatic wheels. It also features an ergonomic memory foam knee pad cover that makes long-distance riding more comfortable.
- Holds up to 350 pounds
- Adjustable handbrake and rear brake
- 12-month warranty
Featuring a hybrid design that combines large 9-inch all-terrain pneumatic front wheels with 7.5-inch polyurethane rear wheels, this scooter provides maximum freedom and stability. It also features a quick-release folding mechanism that allows for easy storage and portability.
- Advanced automotive style tie-rod steering for easy maneuverability
- Adjustable locking hand brake for immediate stopping
- Contoured padded knee pad for comfort
This scooter features 9-inch air-filled front tires so it can navigate across virtually any terrain, including grass, gravel, and more. It features fully adjustable handlebars and knee platform allowing you to adjust it to your needs and supports up to 300 pounds.
- Folds in seconds for easy portability
- Recommended for individuals between 5 feet and 6 feet 4 inches tall
- Weighs only 20.9 lbs
Featuring four 8-inch pneumatic tires, this knee walker provides a stable base for easy maneuverability across a variety of terrains. It features a sensitive double lock handbrake that allows you to stop on a dime, providing a sense of security.
- Supports up to 360 pounds
- Front axle and center frame both fold in for compact storage
- Lifetime guarantee
With 12-inch pneumatic tires, this knee scooter can traverse virtually any terrain and even gaps in sidewalks. It also features an advanced automotive style tie-rod steering mechanism that provides superior maneuverability and stability.
- Strong dual bar frame provides a 350-pound weight capacity
- Adjustable knee pad
- Quick-release folding mechanism allows for easy transport
This all-terrain knee scooter features 12-inch pneumatic tires with integrated shock technology. It also has a lightweight and rugged frame that provides stability and durability.
- Comfortable contoured knee pad
- 350-pound capacity
- Adjustable locking hand brake
Featuring four 12-inch air-filled tires, this all-terrain scooter navigates any terrain easily. It also features fully adjustable knee platform and handlebars so you can adjust it to your fit your needs.
- 350-pound capacity
- Grips made of comfortable rubber
- Drum braking system
Foldable Knee Scooter
Featuring 8-inch rubber tires, this scooter is lightweight and small size so it’s easier to operate in tight places. Dual locking handbrakes and dual rear on-wheel brakes allow you to stop immediately when needed.
- Quick release folding mechanism allows for easy transport and storage
- Supports up to 250 pounds
- 30-day money-back guarantee
This steerable knee walker features a quick release folding mechanism so you can transport and store it easily. It has four 8-inch PVC wheels that provide stability.
- Dual rear brake system
- Detachable cloth basket
- Ergonomic anti-slip handlebars
This scooter folds quickly and easily for transport and storage. Its four 7.8-inch rubber wheels provide extra stability and maneuverability and the handlebars feature a handbrake that activates dual rear brakes so you can stop when needed.
- Padded knee platform for comfort
- Weighs just 20 pounds for easy transport
- Supports up to 295 pounds
Seated Knee Scooter
This knee scooter gives you the option of using gel padded seat or knee platform that’s sold separately depending on your needs. It also folds compactly for easy storage and transport.
- Four 8-inch rubber wheels
- Dual braking system
- Supports up to 250 pounds
This seated mobility scooter features a large gel padded seat and a front leg platform where you can rest your injured leg. It also features ergonomic handlebars with an adjustable locking handbrake.
- 7.5-inch rubber wheels
- Fully adjustable handlebars and seat
- 300-pound weight capacity